Hands on laptop

Report something that's not online child sexual abuse imagery

The Internet Watch Foundation only accepts reports of suspected online child sexual abuse images or videos. We’re unable to investigate any other type of report or query as this sits outside of our legal responsibility.

We know that seeing illegal or disturbing content online can be upsetting.

Below we have provided some helpful information about how you can report other harmful content. 

If you or the person you are helping is in immediate danger, please contact the police by calling 999 in the UK or your country's national emergency number.

Report Harmful Content

Report Harmful Content provides a safe place to find advice and resources on how to report a variety of different issues you may see online including:

  • Threats
  • Impersonation
  • Bullying and Harassment
  • Self-harm or Suicide Content
  • Online Abuse
  • Violent Content
  • Unwanted Sexual Advances
  • Pornographic Content

They also offer advice on when you should go to the police

Report harmful content logo
Fraud or Cyber Crime including scam emails

You can report fraud or cybercrime to Action Fraud any time of the day or night using their online reporting tool


If you’re worried a child is being groomed or coerced into sexual acts or is being targeted by an abuser/paedophile, you can make a report at your local police station or online via the CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection command) reporting page.

Encrypted Apps/Platforms

Unless the content is on a publicly available ‘chat’, we’re unable to access content on platforms like WhatsApp and Snapchat. Criminal content can be reported to the app developer. You can find out more about how to report content on encrypted apps, and other social media platforms, here and about safety on WhatsApp here.

Written descriptions or ‘stories’ of child sexual abuse

Any written portrayals of child sexual abuse can be reported online via the CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection command) reporting page.

Online hate or bullying crime, material, or messages

If you’re concerned about an online crime or threats, you can report this directly to the police through their online reporting tool.


The ACT Counter Terrorism offers a safe place to report something you’ve seen which you think could be related to terrorism. You can also report online material promoting terrorism or extremism via the government's website here

Concerns about a person's behaviour

If you're worried about a person's behaviour or what they're saying about feelings/thoughts/activities with/towards children, please report them directly to the police by contacting your local police station, the Child Exploitation and Online Protection command (CEOP) or online at police.uk

If you're concerned about your own thoughts or feelings towards children, Stop It Now offers a free, anonymous and confidential helpline on 0808 1000 900 for advice, support and information. They also offer a live chat and secure messaging service. Find out more here

Remember: If a child is in immediate danger, please call 999 or the applicable police emergency number in your country. 

Revenge porn

If you’re over the age of 18 and have had intimate images shared online without your consent, you can report them to the Revenge Porn Helpline for removal.

Children playing

Our remit & vision

Find out about what we're here to do.

find out more
Boy looking at computer
Useful links