Non-Photographic Image (NPI) URL List
The Internet Watch Foundation’s Non-Photographic Image (NPI) URL List is comparable to our standard URL List but features webpages (URLs) showing images and videos of non-photographic child sexual abuse. These could include cartoons, drawings, computer-generated imagery (CGI) and other non-photographic representations of child sexual abuse.
The URLs provided in the IWF NPI List are those deemed at the time of assessment by IWF Internet Content Analysts (ICAs) to potentially breach UK legislation, specifically Sections 62 to 69 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009†. Our Analysts work in partnership with the UK National Crime Agency’s Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) and other law enforcement agencies.
Utilising our team’s expert knowledge of child sexual abuse imagery you can be sure our list is accurate and regularly assessed to ensure URLs are removed once content has been taken down by the host or relative law enforcement agency.
IWF members have exclusive access to the IWF NPI list allowing them to block webpages featuring this type of content further protecting their users and contributing to the overall fight against child sexual abuse online.
How can IWF members use the NPI list to protect users against child sexual abuse images and videos?
- Block access at network level: Use the list to block access to known webpages with non-photographic child sexual abuse images at network level while we’re working to have them removed*.
- Filtering: You can include our NPI URL List in your filtering solutions, so you can protect your customers from accidentally accessing these pages.
- Prevent indexing by search engines: Search providers can use the list to stop these pages from being indexed, so they don’t show up in search results.
Why choose the IWF NPI List?
- Updated daily: We add new content as our analysts find it.
- Quality assured: Our analysts manually assess every webpage on the list – so you can be 100% confident in its content.
- Active searching: As one of the few hotlines in the world actively looking for NPI, our ability to locate and facilitate blocking of this type of content is unparalleled.
- Research: We carry out research to further develop our skillset and improve our ability to locate this content.
- Help fund the solution: We're a not-for-profit organisation working to remove child sexual abuse imagery from the internet. Join a global network of industry partners to fund the solution.
Who can use it?
IWF Members can use our NPI URL List under licence. Organisations who could benefit from the IWF NPI List include:
- Internet service providers (ISPs)
- Filtering services providers
- Search providers
- Internet security providers
- Hosting service providers
- Other organisations involved in internet, communications or network security
Get in touch
To talk about how our NPI URL List could help you, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1223 20 30 30.
View our Non-Photographic Imagery (NPI) Policy here.
† ICAs assess child sexual abuse imagery according to the levels detailed in the Sentencing Council’s Sexual Offences Definitive Guideline at http://bit.ly/2GqqSHi
* UK hosted NPI only.