Laws Relating to the IWF's Remit
The Internet Watch Foundation’s remit covers three types of internet content:
- Child sexual abuse content* hosted anywhere in the world
- Criminally obscene adult, including extreme pornography, content hosted in the UK
- Non-photographic child sexual abuse images hosted in the UK
Legislation relating to child sexual abuse content
- Protection of Children Act 1978 (England and Wales)
- Civic Government Act, 1982 (Scotland)
- Sexual Offences Act 2003: Key Changes (England and Wales)
- Memorandum of Understanding: Section 46 Sexual Offences Act 2003
- Police and Justice Act 2006
- Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008
The IWF assesses child sexual abuse images according to levels set by the Sentencing Guidelines Council.
Click here for the Crown Prosecution Service's guidance on indecent photographs of children .
Legislation relating to criminally obscene adult content
- Obscene Publications Act 1959 and 1964
- Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008: Section 63
- Criminal Justice and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2010: Section 42: Extreme Pornography
Click here for the Crown Prosecution Service's guidance on obscene publications .
Click here for the Crown Prosecution Service's guidance on extreme pornography .
Legislation relating to non-photographic child sexual abuse images